Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Oh Happy Days...

I would like to keep you all up to date with the differences between here and home. Some of you may not even believe it, but I am not lying. First off, I wake up every morning by 8 AM. I know. Shocking. I also am sleepy by 10 PM, but not much really goes on round here that late, and most of the friends we hang out with have jobs. It's actually been refreshing. Next, I run every day. Like every day. Rain, hail, or sleet. I figure I'm not really doing much with my life, I have to at least run to feel productive. Next...believe it...I don't hate coffee. I know! And I LOOOOOVE tea. Hot tea. It makes me all nice and warm when I'm cold. And, get this Stace, I drink it with half a sugar and no milk. I'm kind of a big deal. I don't even know what that means....

Also, a few of my other discoveries. It hails here a lot. I still have an initial instinct to run and dive for cover like it's going to tornado or something, but it just will hail and people get out their umbrellas and go on with their daily activities. Weird. Another discovery, Bridge you'll like this one...Remember how far we drove Christmas morning to find a Catholic Church? Well there is one right up the street from Sara's house. Like walking distance. I changed up my run the other day and passed right by it. Ha! Oh well...

It's been a rainy few days. Monday we shopped with Megan all day in town, and I also discovered a whole street that is AMAZING! Sarah you would have gone crazy about it. And broke. I couldn't afford anything, but it was really cool to look around. The city here keeps growing and growing to me. I think I've almost got it down and then I discover a whole new street of coolness.

Tuesday I had an interview with a Temp Agency as I said. Well, what a bust. First, the car that we have been using is Aaron's (Sara's brother's) old car, a "Datsun Sunny" if you've ever heard of one of those. Ancient. Bright yellow. Almost as much character as the good old Saab, but nothing will ever have that kind of reverence, right Dad? Ha. Anyways, we get into Datty, as we call him, and he kaputs. Actually, he starts, we reverse into the middle of the street, and then he stalls and floods. Perfect timing. It was cold and I was in my nice interview outfit. We had to push him to the side of the road and call a taxi, that cost $20. I was too much of a wuss to find the place by myself so I made Sara tag along. She waited in Starbucks while I went to an interview to have a guy tell me that there weren't many jobs and I wasn't qualified to work in coffee shops or as a waitress cause I've got no experience, but he'd keep me in the database. Seriously. Why did he even bring me in again? It was an annoying morning... So I had to make a better day of it. I went to the store and bought crafts and Sara and I made crafts...personalized headbands! I love it and the day turned out good...It's the small things in life.

So getting to today, Wednesday. It rained/hailed/sleeted/snowed all night and morning and day. I got one break in the clouds where I went for a run (my longest yet) and then it started back up again and should continue throughout the night. Anyways, so we went to see Renee, who just had surgery on her knee to take out a pin (she had the same surgery as I did a year ago, and the screw was HUGE) and she's doing well, the surgery went really smoothly and she's even walking already. We watched Revolutionary Road with her and it was really good. Anyways, I'm rambling but the most important news about today is that Sara and I bought a plane ticket to go to AUSTRALIA!!! On Sunday! I'm so excited...!! (Squealing inside) We're flying into Brisbane, where Sara's good friend Tomo lives, and then renting a car and driving to Gold Coast, where our lovely friends Pip and Nels live. Among many other things, I'm so pumped to see them! And Alex, don't worry I will buy you a boomerang.

Needless to say, the next few days I'm laying low. Keeping up my "productive" days, and hoping for some sunshine, but if not Australia is supposed to be pushing the 80s, and I'll be right on the beach. I can't wait.

Hopefully I'll be able to find a computer while I'm there, but if not I'm going to keep a wee journal so I can remember every detail (Bridget style).

I miss you all so so so so much! I am also very jealous that you get the real-time American Idol, cause I'm not going to see it until Friday evening :( I'll already know who wins by then for sure...

Okay, much love from across the globe xxoo

No comments:

Post a Comment